Notice of Privacy Practices
In the course of providing service to you, we create, receive, and store health information that identifies you. I understand that, under the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996 ("HIPAA"), I have certain rights to privacy regarding my protected health information. I understand that this information can and will be used to:
- Conduct, Plan, and Direct my treatment and follow-up among the multiple healthcare providers who may be involved in that treatment directly and indirectly
- Obtain payment from third-party payers (e.g. my insurance company)
- Conduct normal healthcare operations such as quality assessments and physician certifications
The Notice of Privacy Practices you have been given describes these uses and disclosures in detail. You are free to refer to this notice at any time before you sign this form. As described in our Notice of Privacy Practices, the use and disclosure of your health information for treatment purposes not only includes care and service provided here but also disclosures of your health information as may be necessary or appropriate for you to receive follow-up care from another health professional. Similarly, the use and disclosure of your health information for purposes of payment includes:
- Our submission of your health information to a billing agent or vendor for processing claims or obtaining payment
- Our submission of claims to third-party payers or insurers for claims review, determination of benefits and payment
- Our submission of your health information to auditors hired by third-party payers and insurers
Other aspects of payment described in our Notice of Privacy Practices. Our Notice of Privacy Practices will be updated whenever our privacy practices change. You can receive an updated copy of this notice from our office.
You have the right to ask us to restrict the uses or disclosures made for purposes of treatment, payment, or healthcare operations, but as described in our Notice of Privacy Practices, we are not obliged to agree to these suggested restrictions. If we do agree, however, the restrictions are binding on us. Our Notice of Privacy Practices describes how to ask for a restriction.